A recent report from the London Fire Service stated that nearly one fire a day in London involves white goods. White goods are those essential household appliances that we can’t do without – tumble dryers, washing machines, fridges and freezers.
Most fires are caused by faults beyond our control. London Fire Brigade are running a campaign to make it easier for people to protect themselves from potentially lethal faulty appliances. The campaign involves educating people on how to protect themselves from a fire occurring and lobbying manufacturers to change how they operate.
Here are some simple recommended steps that you can take to avoid an electrical fire occurring in your home appliances.
- Before plugging your appliances in for use, check flexible cables for damage, wear and tear, and that the plug is fastened securely to the cable. Don’t use the appliance unless it and its cable are in good condition.
- Check your sockets regularly – if you see burn marks or they feel hot, get a registered electrician to check if they need repairing or replacing.
- If your appliance makes a strange noise don’t just ignore it – unplug it and contact the manufacturer or a qualified repair technician.
- Check that your appliances haven’t been recalled. Currently Hotpoint, Indesit, Creda, Swan and Proline tumble dryers manufactured between April 2004 and September 2015 are subject to a product recall. To find out if your appliance is subject to product recall you can check the Government’s product recall site , the manufacturer’s site or the Electrical Safety First Register.
- Keep your white goods in a safe place out the way from harm – for instance don’t put your freezer in the hallway.
- Fit smoke and heat alarms in every room and test them regularly.
- Register your new appliance as then you will be informed if the manufacturer finds any issues with the model you have bought.
- Don’t leave washing machines, tumble dryers or dishwashers running overnight or when you are out.
- Don’t overload washing machines or tumble dryers – take bulky items like duvets to the dry cleaners.
- Don't overload washing machines or tumble dryers - take bulky items like duvets to the dry cleaners.
And finally look into fitting an automatic fire suppression system to your appliance. Firetrace supply easy to fit fire suppression systems for tumble dryers which minimises the risk of a fire occurring as it works quickly to put a fire out as soon as it is detected. Click here to find out more.